Tuesday, May 30, 2006

An Open Door, and A Bittersweet Evening

I was at college all day today. My letter from the school was due to come, so at lunchtime I got on the internet on my laptop with the wireless in the library, and instant messaged my Mom, “Has the mail come yet? Did I get my letter from the sign language program?”

She found the mail, and indeed, I had gotten the letter. So I asked her to look at it. She types over IM, “Dear Amy:” Long pause while she types and I squirm and try to keep from yelling “What did it say?!! Yes or no?!” LOL Finally she presses enter and it pops up on the screen. “It is our pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted into the Sing Language Interpretation Program for Fall, 2006.”

Whoo Hoo!!!


Today I had orientation for SLIP (Sign Language Interpreter’s Program), even though I didn’t know yet whether I had been accepted yet. We had about 45 minutes of hearing about the program, and asking questions. The first year it will be 15 credit hours, with a total of about 40 hours per week between class, homework, practice, and Deaf events. I’ll be having to get up very early to allow for the heavy traffic. In other words, it’s gonna be a whole lot of hard work! But, it will be work doing something I love. J

Tonight out sign language class was very bittersweet. A little less than half the class has not been accepted. I’m especially disappointed that my two closest friends in the class, did not get in. I was really hoping to go to school with them. One of them was particularly disappointed, and I just wanted to give her a big hug every time I looked at her. She is a skilled signer, so the whole class was shocked that she did not get in. However, she does not want to be an interpreter, but wants to start a private school for the Deaf, so I’m sure that’s why she didn’t get in.

One of my other friends, whom I carpool with, did get in, and quite a number of other classmates that are becoming friends as well. After spending some 20 hours a week with them all over the next two years, I’m sure we’ll all be quite close fairly soon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Amy!
I am excited to hear how God will contiue to work in your life and use you for HIS kingdom!

Georgiana Daniels said...

YEA! I'm so happy for you Amy! What a blessing!

purple_kangaroo said...

Congratulations! I know what you mean about it being bittersweet, but I'm glad you got in. I'm proud of you.

M. C. Pearson said...

Wow, I'm so happy for you! We live near the North Carolina School for the Deaf...BIG school.

Sorry about your other classmates though. :(

~Mimi

M. C. Pearson said...

Aha, so you are the Amy that Wren was talking about. *shakes a finger* Sorry, didn't know!

I've an urgent prayer request on my Pixie blog. Please visit for details.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! You go girl!