Friday, July 11, 2008

Sand Bubbles

Laury, a FaithWriter from Illinois, flew to visit Marita, Janelle, and I this week. We talk on IM and the phone all the time, so it didn't really feel like meeting her for the first time. It's been so much fun to laugh and tease in person, though. The three of us have sore cheeks from laughing so much. Both Laury and my pain levels are much lower than they've been for a while.

Marita lives right on the Columbia River, a couple of hours northwest of me, and today I drove to stay the night at her house with her and Laury. Mari's family is out of town, so it's just the three of us giggling away as we please. As I type this, we're watching a movie. Mari says she's never going to watch one with the two of us again. LOL ;-) I thought I was bad about talking during movies...Laury's even worse, ha.

After dinner today we went wading in the slough where the river is very shallow and lazy. The sun was slipping below the horizon--just an orange glow lighting the tops of the foothills and casting a silver sheen over the rippling water. The tide was up, and that created a fascinating phenomena with the sand--I've never met sand that acted quite like that. As you stepped into it, the sand sunk down a few inches, releasing a cascade of burbling bubbles that massaged our feet with every step. As the sky darkened, tiny fish jumped from the water, catching their dinner in glistening streaks.

4 comments:

Joanne Sher said...

SO glad you arrived safely, and are having such a wonderful, wonderful time (and that your pain is lessened!). Laughter IS good medicine, isn't it? Very cool about the sand, too. Thanks for sharing :)

LauraLee Shaw said...

Nothing like laughter endorphins to defeat the enemy of pain! Sounds like a wonderful time, and you all are just the cutest bunch I have ever seen. Hugs!

Josh said...

Thank you for sharing the photos and stories regarding Laury's visit. I'm glad to see that you ladies have been having so much fun. :)

purple_kangaroo said...

Hey, you got your hair cut since I saw you last! It looks cute . . . nice for summer.