Monday, July 21, 2008

Acceptance

This week I’m volunteering at a Literacy Faire camp for Deaf kids. The kids are in five groups, each studying and then performing an adapted story of Hans Christian Anderson. I’m on a voice acting team, which means when the kids act in ASL, we’ll be reading the script out loud in English so non-signers can follow along.

I love doing dramatic readings and playing around with different voices, so this is extra fun because I also get to be working with sign language and kids, too. Besides preparing for voice acting, we’re helping out in the classrooms as much as we can.

Today I worked with the 1st and 2nd graders. That’s such a fun age! The kids are old enough to go to the bathroom themselves, hehe, but not so old they have massive chips on their shoulders. They are so accepting of everyone at that age. We have nine kids in a wide range of signing levels, ethnic backgrounds, and a pretty even mix of boys and girls, including one with some medical issues. For a minute I thought I might have a problem when one asked if I was Deaf or hearing and was rather shocked at my answer. “Hearing people aren’t allowed!” but they quickly seemed to forget my “shortcoming”, and accepted me fine.

My back pain mostly stayed under control, despite the toddler-sized chairs and tables. I’d love prayer that I can continue the week without problems. A couple of the kids were sick, too, so hopefully no one else will get it.

I’ve just finished writing the rough draft of that classroom’s script, and Thursday we should have all of them ready. Then we’ll be able to start playing around with voices and practicing for the voice acting!

I think I’d enjoy teaching…as long as I didn’t have to sit in pee wee chairs all day every day! :-p

.

4 comments:

Jules said...

Oh Amy, I know what you mean about the chairs! I work with under two's so our chairs are really small. And I'm always having problems with my back. Hope yours lasts the distance.

For years I've been thinking about going to night school to study Sign Language. I might just enrol next year and be done with it.

Blessings, Jules

Laury said...

Sounds like lots of fun, Amy! Enjoy!

Joanne Sher said...

Those chairs ARE tiny! Glad your back is holding up, and that you were accepted by them. (I also love that age - Andrew is that age, in fact LOL)

Praying for you, my friend. Thanks for keeping us up to date. :)

Josh said...

Sounds like you had some fun doing this. Glad to hear that it went well. :)