Sunday, October 10, 2010

God of the Silly and Impossible

I just finished the rough draft of I Will Dance, a historical fiction novella for Peculiar People’s Heirloom Chronicles book, I Will be Found. This is story I’ve had in my head since I was a teenager, and we’ve been theoretically working on this book for several years, but somehow I’d never been able to get it out on paper. I finally did it!


Not only did I finish that long-awaited project, but this is the longest solo writing project I’ve actually finished. I’ve always been a little ADD with my writing, and never managed to get much done on a novel before loosing interest and moving on to something else. Each new story idea that pops into my head is "shinier" and more exciting than whatever I'm working on at the moment. I’ve also pretty much only done creative writing when I felt like it. When I was in the creative mood.

This month I made myself write almost every day even if I didn’t feel like it (unless I was really sick—which is fairly often). Some days it was only a couple of paragraphs, and other days it was several pages. And I found that when it’s not flowing all easy and pretty, then writing can actually be work. But sometimes making myself do it will cause the creative flow to come back again.

I know the rough draft will need a lot of work to smooth it out, but I praise God that I finally finished! Do a happy dance with me!

This novella was 13,000 words. In November I’m going to do NaNoWriMo and try to write 50,000 words in thirty days. When I struggled this much to get 13k done, why do I think I can get 50k done? Especially when added to my normal writer struggles with writing block or the “blahs” is a fight with a chronic illness that can leave me nearly non-functional some days. Seems rather silly and impossible, doesn’t it? Well, for one thing, it’s okay if I don’t get the full amount done. It’ll still be more than I would have written otherwise. And for another thing, I happen to have a God who loves silly and impossible conundrums.

It’s true. Look at history. Think of the fortressed city of Jericho that had a huge impassible rock wall around it. What did God ask His people to do? March around it fourteen times. Silly actions to attempt the impossible. But that wall fell down.

Think of a young man with only a sling shot and three stones going against a huge giant in full body armor. Silly and impossible. But Goliath died.

My own life is full of these stories, as well. Think of a young lady with vision-brain connection problems that mean she can’t remember what she’s seen or tell apart things that look similar. God asks her to become fluent in a visual signed language. Silly and impossible? But I am fluent.

Think of a lady entering a interpreting training program that is so difficult and intense that there is about a 20% graduation rate. That lady develops a debilitating chronic illness in the middle of the program. Her even thinking of continuing seems silly and impossible, doesn’t it? And yet, here I am, graduated.

Yes, my God is a God of the silly and impossible. He often requires very hard work and determination on our part, but then He steps in and does a miracle. I believe He gave me the talent and desire to write. Part of my being a good steward of those gifts is for me to…well, to write!

So here I am, once again feeling God pressing me toward the silly, impossible task of writing 50,000 words in the month of November. And I can’t wait. I can’t wait to see how He does it.

The best part about these silly, impossible tasks is that when the silly becomes amazing and the impossible becomes accomplished there is no doubt about Who did it. God gets all the glory.

6 comments:

Barb Culler said...

YAY!!! You go girl!

You said it best when you said you can't wait to see how God leads your through the experience next month!

Praise God!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you! I love your reference to the God of the silly and impossible. Doesn't Scripture say that He takes the foolish things of this world to confound the wise? (I know: not exact wording, but still...)

Author, Bodie Thoene, is severely dislexic. She says she had never read a novel before writing her amazing historical fiction novels, several of which have won prestigious awards.

Can't wait to tackle NaNo with you.

Debbie said...

Yes, To God be the Glory!! He's working in ya Amy! Congrats on your writing. you made me thinking of God up their laughing at our silly conundrums.. :)

Ivy said...

Yep yep yep. Our God is silly and impossible. I can barely keep on top of my homework when I'm NOT doing NaNo. What the heck do I think I'm doing, committing to something like this? But like you, I'm super excited and I know I can do it with His help.

By the way, the longest story I've ever finished was 5 double-spaced pages...

Laura said...

Good luck! This post was particularly an inspiration to me because I too am attempting to write 50,000 words in November. Last year I only made it halfway...and there is a part of me that doubts I can do it.
But your post reminded me that I can...through Him. I feel like little David with a stone in hand, ready to start whacking at the big giant of 50,000 words. But it possible with God. Nothing is impossible with our Lord. Thank you for reminding me that. :)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I've been debating on doing NaNo the last few years. I think one year (when I was in Korea) I started it, but the story wasn't speaking to me and I just didn't push it (it was a genre I've never written before, and wasn't something I was particularly interested in). I'm kind of thinking of trying it again this year, but I don't have any ideas yet (or research or anything like that)...but I guess there is still time to come up with something and at least "try" it.

Shelley (aka Tabby2002 @ FaithWriters)
http://inkscrawls.blogspot.com